MONKEY MAN

Dev Patel stars as Bobby (a fake name he uses in the movie, we don't know his real name), a low wage worker at a fancy club by day and a terrible fighter by night. As a young boy, his mother is killed before him and from that day on, he swears revenge. We've all seen and heard the story before and this film does little to add to that narrative. While I was excited to see Patel branch into action films, don't believe the marketing machine that put together the trailers as this is not on the level of a JOHN WICK film (although that's what they're trying to sell you on). The scenes where Patel fights regularly after his daytime job are slow and not exciting; whereas there's only 2 major action sequences: 1 about halfway through and the final big battle. Outside of that, it's all backstory, flashbacks, a little bit of training so Patel can find his strength and defeat those who've wronged them. I've give the marketing people a hand for selling the film as exciting but I left the theater feeling anything but. This is not the film you think it is. 6/10