x
You are viewing your 1 free article this month. Login to read more articles.

Monoray to publish journalist Sanne de Boer’s book about the world’s most powerful Mafia
RIGHTS
MAR 25, 2024
BY MELINA SPANOUDI

Monoray has acquired Mafiopoli, journalist Sanne de Boer’s book about the ’Ndrangheta — the “most powerful Mafia in the world”.

Publisher Jake Lingwood acquired UK and Commonwealth rights from Lisette Verhagen at PFD, and the book will be published in hardback on 20th June 2024.

“Mafiopoli is the first comprehensive book to be published in English about the ’Ndrangheta and takes us deep inside this extraordinary criminal organisation,” the synopsis says. “The Monoray edition will feature a brand-new afterword on the ’Ndrangheta in the UK: how it has infiltrated the financial market, using shell companies based in the UK to carry out its business; and on its physical presence in Australia, where there’s a large Calabrian diaspora. Sanne de Boer also addresses how Italian and international law are responding to its ascendancy.”

The author will be visiting the UK for events to promote Mafiopoli, supported by New Dutch Writing, which is funded by the Dutch Foundation for Literature.

“Sanne has written, first and foremost, a stand-out work of terrific non-fiction in Mafiopoli,” Lingwood said. “In addition, she gives us incredible insight into a world where most of us would fear to tread. Her book redefines modern true crime/Mafia publishing and as the ’Ndrangheta spreads its influence, it more and more becomes terrifyingly essential reading.”

The author commented: “It’s a great pleasure for me to share Mafiopoli with an English-speaking readership. I wrote my book to make people outside Italy more aware of the global reach of a relatively little-known Mafia. By revealing what constitutes its power, I hope to take my readers on a journey that will change the way they look at the world.”

"The king is dead, long live the king!"