ROAD HOUSE

A remake of the 1989 classic follows the same formula, just in a different town. Former MMA fighter Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) is recruited by Frankie (Jessica Williams) to help her clean up her rowdy bar in the Florida Keys. Dalton does just that but in doing so, interferes in the local business dealings of the very wealthy Ben Brandt (Billy Magnussen) and as such, must pay the consequences of his actions. The film bills this as Connor McGregor's introduction to the silver screen and he's honestly the one thing worth watching as his over-the-top, I don't give a f*ck about you, henceman Knox. McGregor may even be playing a little bit of himself just seriously amplified. Gyllenhaal comes across as too nice of a guy, always smiling and not letting things rattle him. Patrick Swayze did a better job with the character IMO. While Dalton is an honorable man, who never looks for trouble and tries to do the right thing, Swayze made it look cooler and added more mystery to the character. For an action film, I was pretty bored with this about 45 minutes to an hour in. Outside of McGregor's acting chops, I will tip my hat for the phenomenal shape both he and Gyllenhaal got themselves into for this film. Another unnecessary remake that no one asked for and should have been left alone. Very disappointing! 4.5/10