Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Lana
Sonny: So, what's your answer gonna be, Pop?
telling them his no answer before the meeting may have prevented Sonny's gaffe

I wondered about that, too. Vito had obviously decided against Sol even before he heard his proposal. The novel tells us that Vito told Tom, at Connie's wedding, that Sol would propose "an infamia." When Tom went over his notes on Sol before the meeting, Vito said: "Do you have it in your notes that Solozzo made his living before the war in prostitution? As the Tattaglias do now. Write it down before you forget."

So, why did he have the meeting with Sol, and why did he have everyone present for it? I'm guessing two reasons. First, he wanted to appear "reasonable" to Sol and to Tattaglia. Refusing to hear Sol out would have been gratuitously insulting to both. Second, he wanted everyone to hear his "no" and his reasons, together and at the same time, so they'd all be witnesses his "no"--and to each others' hearing that "no"--to discourage them from trying to do a deal with Sol on their own, or to start dealing drugs with someone else. Vito wanted everyone to know, unambiguously, his opposition to drugs--and why he was opposed.
Sollozzo didn't reveal the Tattaglia connection when seeking his meeting with Vito letting Tom discover the connection “My compliments” even otherwise why would "always a pimp" Tattaglia's recommendation carry any weight

Was having Tessio present at the meeting another Vito slip-up?
Vito's strategy been deliberately keeping Tessio under wraps and Tessio outwardly operating as an 'independent' Family, distanced from the Corleones so that the other Families wouldn't know the Full strength of Vito's Caporegime Yet....

Besides this united front makes Luca's -- breakaway -- mission even more ridiculous and idiotic indeed

Family man Vito such aversion to prostitution but Sonny with wife and kids, can play “all that comedy with that young girl” as long as Sonny made no gaffes affecting their business