Originally Posted by Evita
Extract: not telling them [Tom and Sonny] about his no decision before the meeting
despite
Vito: Santino? Whattaya think?
Sonny: There's a lot of money in that white powder

Vito: Tom?
Tom: Well, I say yes. There's more money potential in narcotics than anything else we're looking at.
Now if we don't get into it, somebody else will. Maybe one of the Five Families, maybe all of them.
Now with the money they earn, they can buy more police and political power; then they come after us.
Now we have the unions, we have the gambling; an' they're the best things to have. But narcotics is a thing of the future.
An' if we don't get a piece of that action, we risk everything we have -- I mean not now, but ah ten years from now.

Sonny: So, what's your answer gonna be, Pop?
telling them his no answer before the meeting may have prevented Sonny's gaffe

Originally Posted by Lou_Para
Extract:
The Luca mission aside,after the attempt on his life,and the murder of Santino,Vito had to know it couldn't just be Tatt.
He should have seen,in 10 ft high neon letters "BARZINI"

• Michael's slip-up
Michael didn't pass on Sollozzo's "What happened [attempts on Vito's Life] was unavoidable I had the unspoken support of the other Family Dons" to Tessio when Tessio picked Michael up after Michael had killed Sollozzo and McCluskey

If Michael had, Everyone would have seen,in 10 ft high neon letters "BARZINI"
Michael doesn't pay attention to Sollozzo -- he's under too much mental anguish -- is no excuse!