ARGYLLE

Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the very successful author of the spy genre Argylle series. She's written four books and while finalizing her fifth, she's unexpectedly swept up into a real life espionage plot to kidnap her for fear of giving away a secret organization known as The Division, which is run by Director Ritter (Bryan Cranston). Spy Aidan Wilde (Sam Rockwell) is her trusted ally, who assists her in gathering evidence to expose this clandestine operation. Personally, director Matthew Vaughn had a solid start out of the gate on his resume (including such films as KICK-ASS, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, and KINGSMAN: SECRET SERVICE) but now his last 3 outings (KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE, THE KING'S MAN, and now ARGYLLE) have been mid to less than satisfying. He's able to round up an impressive cast and I appreciate the soundtrack to the film, but my biggest gripe with the movie was the constant twist and turns. At first it's surprising and an a-ha moment for the audience. However, by the end of the film, it's relied upon too often and I'm beginning to question anything for the duration as who knows how many more of these moments I'll have to endure? The fight scenes are well choreographed and entertaining (who knew both Howard and Rockwell had the chops to pull them off?). The hair and costume design for Argylle (Henry Cavill) was awful (an Ivan Drago haircut with a stiff, velvet sports coat), but Cavill has enough bravado to still pull it off. Toss in roles by John Cena as Argylle's right hand man Wyatt and Dua Lipa as Lagrange (another spy Argylle is tracking down) who play out Elly's fictional Argylle novel characters and gives the audience a more balanced onscreen chemistry than the Conway/Wilde relationship. And yes, I'm fully aware that's supposed to be the basis of their relationship (doesn't mean it was enjoyable though). 5.5/10