Luciano is often pegged as the architect of the modern day mafia. He eventually gets put away for serious time based on some trumped up charges. He takes his time like a man. Eventually receiving a pardon by the same douche that put him away. This happens after aiding the US Military in WW2. While deported, he still remains on top and is influential around the world. He later dies of a heart attack.
Well, until recently, I thought a certain scene in Boardwalk Empire was fiction. The scene is where Luciano sets up some others with heroin. Toodoped recently posted an article with a transcript of Dewey questing questioning Luciano about ratting during a narcotics bust. Fucking devastating!
That's strike one. Strike two comes with the fucking guy fixing to sell his story?
Genovese. An individual that demonstrated he was a force to be reckoned with. He stood by Lucky since the beginning. It was Genovese,Costello, and Lucky that headed that family for almost 4 decades (30's - 60's). When things got too hot in the US, he went to Italy. He helps out the US military in WW2. He gets extradited, comes home, and makes his witness disappear. While Lucky is overseas and Costello is doing the political thing, Genovese is keeping their family protected. The only one with the balls to take on Genovese is Anastasia. For whatever reason, Anastasia didn't go after Genovese following the Costello hit. Strike 1. Going after Costello. Bad for business and total lack of respect. Strike 2. Appalachian? Was it all his fault? I'm sure the meeting was for more than just acknowledging Genovese as boss. Strike 3. The ultimate fuckup. Valachi.
At the end of the day, Genovese never ratted or sold his story. His drug charges were trumped up but put him away until he died. Nobody ever challenged him before or after he became boss. But there's the Havana story where Lucky breaks the ribs of Genovese. The boss shouldn't be laying his hands on another made man. Genovese respected the boss and didn't fight back. But that story has been called a lie in recent times. My answer is Genovese. Two months ago, it would've been Lucky hands down. But that story about him snitching, really bothers me.