MILLER'S GIRL

At a small Tennessee high school, 18-year-old student Cairo (Jenna Ortega) takes an English class taught by Johnathan Miller (Martin Freeman) at the behest of her friend Winnie (Gideon Adlon). Cairo is an exceedingly bright student, far outpacing her contemporaries as Mr. Miller takes a shine to her: both for her intellect as well as her passion for reading, even reading his first and only book which was panned by reviewers and has shaken his confidence so that he hasn't written anything since. Meanwhile, it appears his alcoholic wife is the bread winner of the family, constantly with a glass in her hand while she's always working in practically ever scene she's in. Perhaps feeling a bit ignored by her as well as a promising and seductive student who happens to seriously be into him, the two begin an inappropriate relationship filled with sexual tension, until Miller breaks it off after a mid-term Cairo writes and submits to Miller, who deems it too inappropriate and requests she write another. Cairo, feeling rejected and vengeful, seeks to ruin Mr. Miller's life both professionally as well as personally. This film didn't receive a huge marketing push behind it but I did come across the trailer and felt it looked interesting enough to take a gamble on and I'm somewhat glad I did. Going into it I was reminded of Alicia Silverstone and THE CRUSH from 30 years ago, however, Cairo's and Mr. Miller's relationship is more consensual as opposed to having a young, psychotic neighbor obsess over you. Ortega is the star here as she gives a wonderful and empowering performance as the at times vulnerable yet wise beyond her years Cairo. Her and Freeman play well together as despite the age gap, they have chemistry onscreen. A decent enough movie to catch if you come across it outside of theaters with an somewhat intellectually stimulating script. 6/10