LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR (1977)

I had never even heard of this movie before until recently for the fact it's difficult to obtain on DVD and Blu-Ray for some reason? I watched the trailer and it didn't do much for me but I still decided to give it a shot. A young Diane Keaton plays school teacher Theresa Dunn, who teaches deaf children. The film has many themes including traditional vs contemporary values, of which she's constantly at odds with her father about; women's liberation, the sexual revolution, amongst others. Keaton delivers an empowering performance here as Theresa, a strong and independent woman, who doesn't need a man to feel whole, way before it was considered to be in vogue. I'm surprised and disappointed she didn't earn an Academy nomination for her work on this. Working as a deaf school teacher she obviously signs to the students but it's apparent to the audience how much time Keaton put into the practice as she does it with such speed, she almost seems like a natural. I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't watched it but the film ends on a down note, which makes it all the more tragic being that it's based on true events. If you're able to catch this and never have, or have seen it but wish to rewatch it, track it down as I was pleasantly surprised by it! 7.5/10

PS-There's an awesome Easter egg in the film relating to Keaton being in THE GODFATHER.
PSS-The film also features very young versions of actors Richard Gere, Brian Dennehy, and Tom Berenger.