Vito and Michael were very powerful men. But, what did they do with the power they achieved?

I believe that for Vito, power was a means to an end: security and a free hand to control his family and businesses. In Sicily, he’d witnessed a two-bit gabellotto wipe out his father, brother and mother—and nearly wiped him out—with a wave of his hand. In America, a two-bit Black Hander demanded a big share of his take of a dress factory robbery that he’d risked life and liberty for. He’d never let that happen again.

His money bought him the power to control those around him, and to buy police and political protection for his businesses. But, he never lived big. His “Mall” in Long Beach was a formidable property, but it was more a fortress where he surrounded himself with family and retainers than a mansion or an estate. It seemed pretty ordinary on the inside, no fancy furniture or chandeliers. He didn’t flaunt his money—the only time we see him dressed in anything other plain shirt and pants is at Connie’s wedding and at the Commission meeting.

He knew he could never be considered “legitimate” in society, but it was enough for him to be respected and honored by those whom he helped and did business with. Vito summarized himself succinctly for Michael: “I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the string, held by all those -- bigshots. I don't apologize -- that's my life” [emphasis added].

For Michael, power seemed to be its own end—once he had power he never stopped trying to get more. He lived lavishly and publicly in Nevada—his party for Anthony at his gigantic, showy estate, and his thousands of guests, was the exact opposite of Vito’s modest, anonymous lifestyle. He wasn’t content to be the biggest power in US gambling—legal and illegal—he had to have Klingman’s share of the Tropigala Hotel, and he wanted all of Roth’s Havana holdings. He let nothing stand in his way—having a hooker killed to blackmail Geary, attempting to murder Roth to get his holdings.

You could argue that all of his wealth and power served his obsession with becoming “legitimate.” In III, he had achieved legitimacy --he sold his gambling interests, had been made a Papal Knight, and founded a gigantic philanthropy. But he still wants more—he wants the controlling interest in Immobiliare because, as Archbishop Gilday says, “it can make you one of the richest men in the world.” And, he’s still controlling the Commission—as Vincent tells him, “I know you’re into banks and Wall Street, but everyone knows you’re the final word, you’re like the Supreme Court.” And he’s keeping Zasa from rising in the Commission. Nothing satisfies him.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in,” he complains after the Atlantic City attack. Yeah, sure—he was never out, never wanted to be out.

Your thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.