EILEEN

Set during the 1960s in Massachusetts, Eileen (Thomasin McKenzie) is a young and quiet 24-year-old who works at the local juvenile detention center for young boys. She soon becomes infatuated with the center's new psychologist Rebecca (Anne Hathaway), who recently moved from New York. Rebecca is everything Eileen is not but hopes to be: attractive, confident, and pleasurable to be around. The two soon hit it off and are even social outside of work, going to the local bar for dancing and drinks. However, I thought I knew where the story was headed until the midway point when the story takes a very interesting and harsh turn when a bombshell realization is revealed to the audience. From then on, it almost seems like a different film and has hints of a noir from that point forward. McKenzie and Hathaway are dynamic together as a ying-and-yang tag team and after finishing, I really enjoyed the split in the movie and again, the different feels the two parts have. This had a quiet release but I enjoyed this more than expected and I'd enjoy a second viewing again soon. 7.5/10