Originally Posted by Irishman12
THE HOLDOVERS

Massachusetts 1970, professor Paul Hunman (Paul Giamatti) is stuck babysitting 5 students at a private school over the winter break. Having a reputation as a harsh disciplinary, the students push back at ever instance in order to gain their independence as well as salvage whatever they can from their 2 week winter break. The films plays beautifully as an homage to films of the period. From the intro titles to the scene transitions, this really feels like a film made at anytime other than 2023. Giamatti is at the top of his game as the cantankerous, Jim Beam drinking teacher that I dare say this role is Oscar nomination worthy. Equally entertaining is his young student Angus Tully (Dominic Sessa), who challenges his teacher and is the complete opposite from him. The pair make for a dynamic duo, often feeding off of each others banter. Unfortunately, the film appeared funny in the previews as there weren't many laugh out loud moments during the film other than the occasional chuckle. Still a film worth seeing, just perhaps not in the theaters. 6/10

I wish you had enjoyed this one a little more. To me, it was beautiful in so many different ways. The homage to '70s films was done just right, but I feel they captured the authenticity of the era just as well. It felt as though Alexander Payne had built a time machine for us. Maybe I am a little biased, but I've been a big fan of Payne since Sideways. I think he makes the most human movies. That stuff is not for everyone, but as someone who has both struggled and achieved great success, I can relate to a lot of the elements Payne likes to explore. 8/10 from me

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away