POOR THINGS

A loosely based tale of Frankenstein by director Yorgos Lanthimos, Dr. Godwin Baxter (Willem Dafoe) creates Bella (Emma Stone), in his words "an experiment." Bella committed suicide and Godwin brings her back to life. Bella then ventures out on her own with the aid of lawyer Duncan Wedderburn (Mark Ruffalo) to experience the world before coming back home to marry Godwin's assistant and student Max McCandles (Ramy Youssef). If you're a fan of Yorgos, this is more of the same of his previous work and it's quite enjoyable. A little dark comedy but still a film with one of his most powerful messages. The main theme of the film is misogyny and a woman's place within "polite society" during this time period. It's obvious Godwin and Duncan both want to control Bella for different reasons. Godwin for scientific purposes while Duncan wants her for her physical attributes solely. Beautiful set designs, an awkward score, and an absolute powerful performance by Emma Stone (one of the finest of her career I daresay) this is a very enjoyable film. However, by the end it did seem to run a bit long and I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping going in to it. Still worth seeking out if for nothing more than to see Stone and Ruffalo onscreen together as they are dynamic! 6.5/10