NAPOLEON

Ridley Scott brings another historical epic to the screen, this time with Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby telling the tale of Napoleon & Josephine Bonaparte. The film tells both stories of Napoleon's achievements on the battlefield as well as his volatile and unstable relationship with Josephine. My take from the film is the relationship is more central to the story than the battles. Both Phoenix and Kirby shine in their respective roles, each taking turns at being the domineering figure in the relationship at any one time. Phoenix in particular plays the role with little emotion; having either an overconfident case of his sh*t doesn't stink or an apparent apathy, he's wonderful as Napoleon. A historical film being told in 2 hours and 38 minutes, it hits the highlights of his life. However, knowing Scott and his pension for extended/director's cuts (even hearing a rumor that a 4-hour version could soon be made available), I'm curious to see more from this story as I was quite entertained throughout, but sadly, this version left me wanting more. 6.5/10