OLD DADS

Comedian Bill Burr makes his directorial debut with his Netflix exclusive film OLD DADS, which he stars in alongside Bobby Cannavale and Bokeem Woodbine. The 3 friends started a business together called Trifecta Classics in 2000, which is a vintage sports jersey line. They sold out but are staying on as employees; however, their new boss is 28-year-out generation alpha Aspen Bell (Miles Robbins) who has a zero tolerance policy for anyone who doesn't fit into the overly sensitive 2023 PC standards. In addition, early in the film Burr gets into a profanity verbal altercation with his son's private school principal Dr. Lois Schmieckel-Turner (Rachael Harris). Dr. L as she's referred to in the film, has a lot of power when it comes to recommendations for the next school their child Nate (Dash McCloud) will attend so he is pleaded by his wife Leah (Katie Aselton) to make amends with Dr. L. Much like Burrs standup, most of the film is him clashing with the youth of today in a funny, not heavy-handed or "holier than thou" approach. Just his observations in a very funny way. I've started to get into more of Burrs work with the help of a friend within this last year and I'm glad I did as I might not have seeked out this hidden gem otherwise. Burrs smart quips and deadpan expressions never grow tire and he's supported hilariously as well by both Cannavale and Bokeem. I hope this film finds a large audience on Netflix as it honestly surpassed my expectations and I would love to see this group of actors back together again soon for another hilarious adventure. 7.5/10