You did not divert off the path. It's very difficult to figure things out in Montreal. You still did a good job VitoCahill.
I have also referred to the Rizzuto as a clan because it makes things easier and less argumentative to explain things on this forum.
But if you want my "personal opinion" they were a mafia family from the minute they formed an alliance to overthrow the Violi's. If one talks and walks like a duck then it is a duck in my vocabulary.
The "inner circle" that actually run the Rizzuto family have always been Sicilians from Cattolica Eraclea/Siculiana .Some of the rest of the Italians were given important positions but were never in complete control of the the family.
I say this because it is a family business runed by bloodlines. I know reporters have stated that Montreal is runed by different cells or clans; that is true. There is no longer a supreme leader among the Italians as it was in the past but the Rizzuto clan is still structured as a pyramid same as other mafias elsewhere.