Prison for stabbing a man in the city center

A drug trafficker who once headed a crack ring was recently sentenced to six years in prison for stabbing a man in downtown Montreal.

“I hope you realize that if the knife had been 5 cm longer, the victim would have died... The situation would have been worse for her, but also for you,” Judge Dennis Galiatsatos told Kevin White this week , who found his sentence “a little harsh”.

White, 45, is known to police for his numerous drug-related arrests. In 2002, he led a network of crack dealers that operated in downtown Montreal.

He then used his mother to manage the group's finances.

This time, the alleged events occurred in December 2015, while he spent the evening in an erotic cinema on Sainte-Catherine Street.

During the evening, White had an argument with an acquaintance, Kenneth Edosio Tokunboh. The reasons for the altercation are unknown, but it eventually moved into the street. Except instead of fighting with his fists, White started reaching for a weapon.

“He entered a pizzeria and went directly behind the counter, where he grabbed a kitchen knife with a six-inch blade,” reads the summary of facts of the case.

Assault

Armed, White began chasing his victim to stab him, a few blocks away. The victim should not have any after-effects.

Since being detained, White was to stand trial for attempted murder. However, he decided to plead guilty to aggravated assault.

“This being my first violent crime, it taught me that I need to be more patient,” White said.

At the lawyers' suggestion, White received six years of incarceration. But with preventive detention, he has nine months left to serve. He will then have to submit to three years' probation.

“I'm now a grandfather, I hope I'll be able to change my life,” White concluded.