The three italian criminal groups can be compared themselves.

But how do they individually compare to some of the individual cartels that practically run Mexico? Are there individual mafia families in the the mafia, camorra or ndrangheta that wield similar power and an excess of wealth? Or would it take the combination of the entire mafia in sicily or Camorra in Naples to equal a cartel as strong as Sinaloa?

In the decade of 1980, there were drug traffickers in Miami who operated on an extremely large scale too who had power and money that I think we only hear rumors about but rarely saw with the Italian American mafia during that same time. Almost as if they were what people believed the American mafia to be. But I do know that the Americans were making decent money with the pizza connection as well so even if they couldn’t compare to the Miami drug kingpins they were still slightly in the mix during that era.

As a side note: I think the Camorra was a lot more powerful when they had families like the Nuvolettas and Zazas at the top. Since those two fell, it seems like they are made up of street gangs and other families that have not been able to operate on the same level as them with the exception of maybe 1 or 2.