THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER

Based upon a single chapter from the Dracula novel, the film tells the story of Dracula sailing from Carpathia to England and how he wipes out the entire crew upon their arrival. Honestly the trailers did little for me as well as the story. I never read the novel but even based upon the minutia amount of screen time these events have been given in almost any interpretation of the novel, I didn't think there was a story here. I'm happy to report I was wrong in that initial assessment as the film does an enjoyable job of spacing out the attacks, doesn't seem repetitive, and was able to flesh out a 2 hour movie on a single chapter. I applaud the special effects and makeup as the character is terrifying to view but is also in a lot of frames, viewable but unfocused, giving the audience a heads up of what's to come while at the same time, having them strain for a better look. My only grip was the change of the storyline at the end but otherwise, again, this pleasantly surprised me and was better than expected! 6/10