THE BEANIE BUBBLE

This film tells the story of the rise and fall of the beanie baby empire run by co-founder Ty Wagner (Zach Galifianakis). However, the story isn't just about him but the 3 women who helped shape the company into the behemoth it eventually became in co-founder Robbie (Elizabeth Banks), Ty's right hand assistant Maya (Geraldine Viswanathan), and Ty's fiance Sheila (Sarah Snook). Living through the 90's, I grew up with the beanie baby crazy but never did follow along about how the company crumbled. This provides an insightful behind-the-scenes story about that time involving these 4 characters. Terrific performances all around, although Galifianakis and Viswanathan make the movie even more special in my opinion. The story appears to show the collapse could have been avoided had Ty heeded Maya's always spot on advice about the future. But, when you're making $1 billion profit in a single year back in the 1990s, I suppose you start to believe your own hype. For anyone else who doesn't know the story of what happened or are just looking for a solid film, this is worth watching. 7/10