Feared as far as the United States

The Quebec Hells are reputed to be "extremely violent" according to an influential former American member of the club

How are the Hells of Quebec perceived by the American Hells?

I have been interested in them since the 1970s. I became friends with Boss [Yves Buteau, first president of the Montreal chapter] during his visit to Ventura. He was murdered like many of my friends. I also knew Walter [Stadnick, Montreal chapters and Nomads], who came from the same city as my first wife [in Ontario]. And what I can tell you is that both the Hells Angels here in California and those elsewhere in the United States know well that we must take the Canadian Hells Angels very seriously. They are not afraid of anything.

How would you describe them?

They are known to be incredibly violent and very determined. While they were waging war on the Rock Machine, it was out of the question for us, on the American side, to dictate anything to the Hells of Quebec. This war killed 160 people. It's still incredible.

Did you even fear that this war will cross the border?

In the late 1990s, Canadian Rock Machines wanted to become Bandidos. If the Bandidos, with whom we were not at war here, absorbed a band that was at war with us in Canada, the conflict could have degenerated and spread to the United States. So one day, for three hours, I met the Hells of Canada and my friend George Wegers, who was president of the Bandidos. We discussed in a park in Washington State, on the Canada-U.S. border, in search of a solution. I think Walter [Stadnick, then president of the Canadian Hells] was there. It was agreed with George that the Bandidos would not accept Rock Machines in their ranks. In the end, some Rock Machines still became Bandidos. It didn't please the Canadians.

The Hells no longer have competition from any group of bikers in Quebec. Are you surprised?

If so, no, not at all. At home, the Hells seem to me an example of cohesion, discipline and determination. If they were at the head of a traditional company, no matter what sector they would have in their sights, they would end up gaining full control of that sector.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/03/18/craints-jusquaux-etats-unis