COBWEB

Peter, an 8-year-old boy, begins hearing a knocking noise from within his bedroom walls at night. Terrified of what it could be and like any child would, he enlists the help of his parents Carol (Lizzy Caplan) & Mark (Antony Starr) only to be rebuffed that it's all in his head. After a while, the knock behind the wall begins talking to Peter, asking his assistance to get them out of where they are and in doing so, angering his parents who continuously tell him there's nothing there. Once Peter starts befriending the voice, he begins to wonder if his parents don't want to believe him in order to keep a dark secret from their past? The film starts out well enough like any spooky/ghost story would: set around Halloween, a creepy old house, wonderful decaying sets, etc. Visually the film kept my interest but the story moved along a little slowly, which is surprising being that it's only 88 minutes long. But, once it got to the third act and the payoff of what was behind his wall, it takes a HARD left turn that I was not prepared for. I'll give the film a lot of credit in being original and taking a risk, however, not all risks work and this is one of those instances. Peter's parents, Caplan & Starr, are the only worthy note I can write in this review about the film. Otherwise, the third act plays out like a trainwreck, one in which you're not even curious about viewing in order to see the carnage. Hard pass on this for anyone contemplating seeing it. 5/10