I actually do agree - somewhat - with your analysis here, Liggio. I think Phil gets way too much of a pass when as you point out, the guy only offered to co-operate once he had no more cards left to play. He rolled the dice on trial and had he been acquitted, it's highly doubtful he would have felt the same change of heart. I've watched his interview a few times and I cringe when he describes calling the FBI and saying "I don't know how I found the strength to do it"... yeah, sure.

With that being said, I think in the minds of many, Phil has earned a better reputation versus the Gravanos, Franzses, Pennisis, diLeonardos and others of the world because he's not dropping a new YouTube video every day, desperately trying to come up with content relevant to today with stories that are 30+ years old. And in that sense, I agree - the man isn't continually pimping himself.

But there's no denying that he is a rat. I'm reminded of a quote from The Gulag Archipelago when Solzhenitsyn describes the female prison being divided into the thieves and the prostitues, who, apparently, would shout at each other: "At least we don't sell our bodies!" to be replied with "At least what we sell belongs to us!"

At the end of the day Phil is a rat like all rats.