WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING (2022)

Another film based on a novel of the same name, WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING finds young Kya Clark (Daisy Edgar-Jones), who's known to all as the marsh girl. Abandoned by her entire family at a young age (first by her mother, then her siblings, before finally her father), she's able to survive on her own although illiterate and uneducated. That all changes when she meets Tate (Taylor John Smith) who teaches her how to read and write. They fall in love and have plans for the future until Tate goes away to college. Promising to come back but never showing up, Kya is then wooed by former local quarterback Chase (Harris Dickinson). However, when Chase suddenly turns up dead by way of a 60'+ fall, Kya is soon the only suspect in his death. Another strong performance by Edgar-Jones as a follow up to her previous outing in FRESH. She plays the vulnerability and awkwardness of Kya so well. It's also an intriguing love triangle between her, Tate, and Chase. I saw the trailer before it was released in theaters and it did nothing for me. However, it was recently recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad it was as it exceeded my expectations. 7.5/10