TO CATCH A KILLER

Baltimore police officer Eleanor Falco (Shailene Woodley) is hired on as a liaison between the BPD and the FBI after a very brief introduction to the head of the FBI task force in charge of the case, Geoffrey Lammark (Ben Mendelsohn). The case follows a lone sniper who kills 29 random individuals on New Year's Eve, using the fireworks as cover to shield his gunfire. The trailer for this looked decent enough and with Woodley & Mendelsohn onboard, it also gives the film some cred. However, the execution left me wanting more. While the story is very intriguing as the killer leaves no evidence of any kind behind, it never broke past the barrier from good to great and I can't quite put my finger on it. The film is most certainly watchable and does keep the audience guessing from time to time. I guess anytime any momentum was built up, it was quickly dissipated but another scene that didn't capitalize on the previous one. Woodley does a fine job here but was surprised at how stereotypical they made Eleanor to be from time-to-time as she's made to carry a crying baby out of an interview so Mendelsohn could finish it and another time she's coming around a coffee tray around the office for everyone. 6/10