BLACKBERRY

Yes, the phone everyone had before the iPhone. I never owned one myself and didn't know too much about the company, other than they're no longer around. The film chronicles the rise and fall of the empire and stars Glenn Howerton as co-CEO Jim Balsillie, Jay Baruchel as fellow co-CEO/co-founder Mike Lazaridis, and Matt Johnson as co-founder Douglas Fregin. The film opens with Mike & Doug pitching their product (then called Phone Link) to Jim. Being preoccupied with another deal he himself is trying to close, Jim blows off the 2 entrepreneurs. However, when Jim is unable to close his deal and is out of a job, he decides to go in with the partners for 50% of the company with Jim being the salesman and Mike & Doug being the techs. The relationship worked well until the networks they were on weren't able to keep up with the amount of Blackberry users data they were consuming. This was their first issue and then Apple came into the marketplace and we all know what happened from there. Glenn Howerton and Jay Baruchel both deserve the most credit for making this film as enjoyable as it was. Howerton is the constant, fiery, takes a lot of risks, alpha male; wheres Baruchel is the painfully shy, unsure of himself, socially awkward but technically genius partner. And while the film didn't drag for me, for those who may find it so, Howerton has enough fire in his belly to keep you awake, engaged, and entertained. 6.5/10