I'm sorry to disagree with a majority of the posters here, but the idea that the Gallo Bros. and their co-horts were not a powerful group of "gangsters" and only an out of control bunch of knuckleheads seems way off base. After things settled down and it was being broken up it contained three future bosses (Blanco, Persico, Amuso) and a slew of other reliable members. A few being L. Gallo who died too young of cancer, A. Gallo still alive must be in his 90's with the Geneveses, Punchy Illiano who was extremely respected by everyone, and M. Rizzitello to name a few.

No one can question the fear they imposed. The fact they fought two wars with an original boss who had an army behind him tells you they were as tough as any crew ever. To kidnap the bosses people and hold them for ransom, are you F......kidding me? The mistake was they didn't take the time to gather a few allies (like Gotti did before killing Castellano). Profaci was cheap and he screwed that crew, convincing them to kill Abbatamarco promising them his rackets and then reneged. Leaving them with crumbs. he didn't respect them and I suspect it was out of fear of them.

Do I think Joe was nuts? No, I think he had a set onions no one could match and he had a short fuse. A deadly combination. This crew is unmatched. I know others disagree but if you do explain your reasoning and I'll try to rebut your argument. Others may agree with me, add your two cents as well.

If you haveanother crew you want tto match up with this one go ahead. Tell why with facts mixed with your opinon. Love to read them. Finally, since most here feel like the Genevese are the gold standard, if a few of these guys were nothing but out of control killers, why would they take them in? Just a thought.