Originally Posted by BensonHURST
Originally Posted by majicrat
Bensonhurst, Elizabeth, Newark and the Oranges have all dried up as recruitment areas for any family and esp. the Decavs. Only thing in Elizabeth remotely Italian is the Ribera social club. In my opinion this family is all but defunct. Used to be a few posters who tried claiming the shore was awash in activity now. It’s just not true. I’m not saying nothing is going on but it’s not major activity. And what is going on is more Ny and philly controlled.

While the recruitment pool is nothing compared to what it was there are still plenty of Italians, 2,500,000 in New York State and 800,000 in NYC, Staten Island is 15 minutes away from Bensonhurst and there 200,000 Italians alone. N.J. has 1,500,000.

That is about 4,000,000 Italians between the two.

If they have 4 crews and they induct 2 members from each that is 8, for a family that has 20-30 button guys, 8 new guys that is 25%
So, there is no issue with replenishing the ranks

I agree there are plenty of Italian guys still around. How many of them wanna get connected, and the "quality" of those who do want that, is another story though altogether.