AIR

The true story of Sonny Vaccaro (Matt Damon) and his attempt to lure Michael Jordan from rivals Converse and Adidas to sign a basketball shoe contract with Nike. Set in 1984, the wardrobe's are loud, the music is chill, and the world doesn't yet know that Michael Jordan will be the greatest basketball player to ever step onto a NBA court. Surrounded by an All-Star cast featuring the likes of Ben Affleck, Chris Tucker, Jason Bateman, and Viola Davis, Damon and Afflect appear to have free rein to do what they do best: craft a great and touching story and they do just that. The story may come as a surprise to some but for those sneakerheads or Jordan obsessed fans (of which I'm a part of), broadly speaking, there's nothing new here except a few minor details. Jordan placed Nike third and wanted to sign with Adidas as he liked their tracksuits and always wore their shoes. However, in an industry changing signing, he would up going with Vaccaro and Nike. And while Michael Jordan (Damian Delano Young) is never properly shown onscreen (only the back of his head is), it's not needed. We know the man and I quite enjoyed not seeing his face as it adds to his mystic. However, while the movie is enjoyable, it's not Affleck's best. I liked it, but didn't love it and the story ran out of stream towards the end when it should have been gaining it unfortunately. Still a very enjoyable film and worthy of your time, but a little disappointed compared to the early reviews I had come across. 6.5/10