INSIDE

Art thief Nemo (Willem Dafoe) has a simple job: break into a New York City penthouse, grab a couple of pieces of art, and get out. However, the crown jewel of his heist is nowhere to be found and after the security system is activated, he's locked inside of the penthouse. The owner has gone out of the country for an undisclosed amount of time, meaning basic necessities, such as food and water (the water has been turned off) are far and few in between. Abandoned by his team on the outside who helped him get into the penthouse, Nemo must use his wits and determination in order to prevent his current circumstances from becoming his tomb. I love Willem Dafoe and the story looked interesting enough from the trailer so I gave it a try. I think most are curious to see how (or if) he can escape. The story unfolds slowly, showing how limited the resources surrounding Nemo are and how quickly he needs to get creative. No timeline is given as much like Nemo, the audience is stuck with him for the ride and we're not even afforded that luxury. The story essential boils down to the lengths individuals are willing to go through for both profit and survival, determination, and some could even read about the fragility of man (particularly in regards to nature as at times the heat in increased to over 100 degrees, before then dropping to 40). There are many consecutive scenes without dialogue, showing Nemo attempting to break out or preparing food. Dafoe's been better and this is a film even his most loyal supporters can skip. 5.5/10