Originally Posted by Lana
Originally Posted by Evita
Originally Posted by JCrusher
You have to remember Mike had no idea about Questadt. I think Mikes ego was big enough that he felt he could beat the Senate hearing which is why he didn’t take the 5th. However once he found out that Roth had a senate lawyer in his pocket Mike knew he would lose unless he took drastic measures

He did beat the Senate hearing!
You have to remember Michael was always too smart to let Roth beat him

Knowing or not knowing about Questadt made no difference whatsoever to Mike's defense Good or Bad He was so ineffective anyway
1. He couldn't stop the Chairman allowing Mr. Corleone to read his statement -- I'll put it in the record.
2. Pentangeli under oath, made him look ridiculous!
3. He stood in the courtroom like a fool

He had already taken the necessary measures by bringing Frankie's brother over
There was no need for him to take any further measures drastic or otherwise And he didn't lose

True Turnbull we debated in Rocco linked to Michael and various other threads: why Michael didn't, couldn't, in fact never could take the Fifth and never would have Questadt or no Questadt

Fredo telling Mike about Questadt eventually, only confirmed in no uncertain terms how he was in deeper with Roth against his own kid brother than he was letting on
1. I haven't got a lot to say Mike.
2. I was kept pretty much in the dark.
3. I didn't know all that much.

Again, it made no difference whatsoever to Mike's defense Good or Bad
Excellent, Movie fact-based analysis, Evita - Factual, Insightful Right again! Credit where credit is due....Fair's Fair
Sure thing Michael “Knowing or not knowing about Questadt made no difference whatsoever to Mike's defense Good or Bad”

My only debating point Michael was [not!] always smart

Michael's greed, nearly undone himself with Roth believing Roth that Michael was - Roth's successor, the heir apparent - blinded until Michael survived the Tahoe bedroom shooting
It was Roth who tried to kill me in my home It was Roth all along
He acts like I'm his son -- his successor -- but he thinks he's gonna live forever -- and he wants me out

I didn't know until this day that Questadt was -- a Dud! Poor Roth always picking Duds! Roth's Achilles heel

• Fredo
    I can handle things I'm smart -- not like everyone says -- not dumb, smart and I want respect!
  • Tahoe assassins couldn't shoot fish in a barrel!
  • Questadt -- well -- was -- well – “Pentangeli under oath, made him look ridiculous!” indeed

$300 million in Roth's 'pension' silk purse Madonne! Yet...

. Eh to be fair Roth was pretty much outsmarting Mike most of the film snd the events before the film shown. Let’s be honest he didn’t have the power Mike had and still went toe to toe with him. He nearly took him down and if it wasn’t by a stroke of luck Mike would’ve been dead. Sure Mike ended up beating Roth but at what cost? Fredo was dead, Frankie who was a well respected loyal capo who ran the NY Corleone operation was gone, Rocco who rose through the ranks to be a top capo was also gone. Mike suffered a huge beating at the hands of Roth. Part of it is as his own fault like Fredo and Kay but there is no doubt that Roth had a big impact on Mike

Last edited by JCrusher; 02/12/23 09:57 AM.