Zasa came to Michael’s party to get his permission to whack Vincent, whom he described as “a stone in my shoe,” wants to know if “he is your problem or my problem.” Michael replies that “your business is your business… I’m out.” Vincent is ushered in, insults Zasa, says he’ll kill Zasa. Michael’s response is to chide Vincent, in front of Zasa: “Mr. Joe Zasa now owns what used to be the Corleone family business. Out of the kindness of his heart he gave you a job in his family. Contrary to my advice, you took the job. I’d offered you something, better, in the legitimate world. You turned me down…” He orders Vincent to “Make your peace with Mr. Joe Zasa. C’mon…” Had Vincent meekly submitted and made up with Zasa, or simply stormed out of Michael’s office, he’d have been dead before dark. Instead he bites Zasa’s ear—the ultimate Sicilian challenge. Michael relents: “Maybe you should come with me for a few weeks. See what happens.”

All of this is a device by FFC to introduce us to Vincent and put him at Michael’s side. But, I’m wondering: Was Michael testing Vincent? If Vincent had submitted to Zasa, would Michael have let Zasa get away with whacking him, as he appeared to be prepared to do? Or, was Michael testing Vincent to see if he’d put his life on the line for his uncle?

Your thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.