Originally Posted by mustachepete
Originally Posted by Evita
4. why bring up the Donship (explicitly) in his outburst if he was not after to be Don

6. why did he deliberately and deceitfully conceal the Senate hearing

8. why was he seething with jealousy and resentment, so consumed with being stepped over if it was not an issue

4. Fredo's character is completely changed from the novel to the first movie, and changed quite a bit again from the first to second movie. Fredo was learning under Moe Green. By GF2, Moe is gone and the Corleones have four hotels, so you'd think Fredo would be of some use to the family. Instead, he's running brothels and seems to be someone Michael wouldn't take a meeting with if Fredo wasn't his brother. What happened? We don't know.

6. What everyone knows about the Senate hearing is one of the most curious questions in GF2. We know the Senate lawyer Questadt was right behind Roth in Havana, in Michael's direct line of sight. Why? We don't know.

8. I'll suggest again that Fredo may have some motivation based in sexual frustration. This is evidenced by the deleted scene (which I think is included in some versions) where he and Deanna arrive at the party, by Deanna's mocking of him at the party, and by his confession to Michael that Fredo should have married a woman like Kay. It's all reminiscent of the very opening of the novel, where Johnny [edit] has professional problems but hits rock bottom because he can neither subdue nor satisfy his movie star wife
“married a woman like Kay” No kidding!

Sadly Fredo was not part of Family matters nor Family business nor....And Fredo -- well -- Fredo was -- well --
Michael “wouldn't take [Fredo] to meetings perhaps because of Fredo's outburst at Greene-Michael meeting in Vegas “taking sides against the Family”

My take, we do know Fredo undoubtedly knew "about the Senate hearing" which Fredo "deliberately and deceitfully concealed even after his betrayal, the Tahoe shooting then cunningly withheld" the information from Michael

Fredo was living the life of his dreams! banging cocktail waitresses two at a time! away from all the challenges, difficulties and violence of Mob life back in New York

Then his kid brother is the Don....Fredo is running the brothels but Geary is the one having all the fun!

It could be a combination of all these factors –
1. loss of his dream life
2. loss of his good friend Moe
3. loss of the Donship
4. "sexual frustration"

No wonder Fredo jumped at the opportunity for the 'respect' of being "Roth's inside man” for “something in it for me -- on my own” for Fredo's "little help" to Ola Give this man a cigar!