Originally Posted by Evita
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
Originally Posted by Evita

However if Fredo wasn't expecting the Donship, interested in your explanation as to
1. Why did Fredo think Johnny Ola wanted him to open the drapes in Michael and Kay's bedroom?
2. why bring up the Donship?
3. Why would the Donship be even an issue?

Your questions are flawed.

Ola asking Fredo to open the drapes is total speculation. Nothing even close to that happens in the film. Anyone could have done it.

The Donship isn't brought up (explicitly) and it isn't really the issue. Fredo tells Michael exactly what the issue is - respect. He knows that nobody respects him and seems to think that helping Ola will get that for him.

Let me throw a question back at you: How could Fredo possibly think Roth can give him the Donship?

He knows that nobody respects him. Even Fredo couldn't have believed that Roth could somehow make Tom, Rocco, Neri, etc. step back and allow Fredo to take over once Michael was out of the way. And, if he wouldn't be Don, what incentive would he have to facilitate a hit?

As I've posted elsewhere, I don't believe he was promised anything in particular. He was so eager for something on his own that he jumped at vague promises from Roth and Ola.

I also agree with Pete that the impact of the ending is really minimized if you look at Fredo as just another enemy, rather than a prodigal brother who unwittingly was involved in a coup attempt and ended up losing his life over it.

The drapes debated above so I won't repeat

The Donship was brought up (explicitly) in his outburst and I reckon, is really the issue that he may feel will get the respect that he so desperately craves, for him.

As we'd debated previously and recently in "Something in it for me" thread: and elsewhere in this one:
Roth's empty promise carrot was Donship, made sure Fredo listened good and inferred even if without having to promise and spell out anything in particular or specific. The rightful heir and successor The only male blood Corleone if the current Don was no longer

Fredo was seething with jealousy and resentment, so consumed with being stepped over, courtesy of Johnny Ola bumped into me in Beverly Hills -- Roth knew fueling his stepped over, is the only carrot that would get him, Roth's pawn, on board

Here's the thing Roth didn't have to make the Donship happen, obviously he can't but that was never his intention, of course if that did happen, he would have Don Fredo [albeit Roth's puppet]

All Roth wanted was Michael dead exactly what he set out to do and his job done
He goes back to living his retired investor on a pension exactly as he planned

and whether we look at Fredo as just another enemy or the prodigal brother, the fact remains He betrayed his brother for personal gain.

. You still can’t present any factual evidence that Fredo acted with malicious intent to harm Mike or remove him from the Donship. On the flip side there is a mountain of evidence that shows Fredo simply was trying to do something on his own despite his stupidity he thought he was helping the Family. Like I’ve said in previous posts having resentment and actually maliciously acting out that resentment are two separate things. Most of us had had some type of those feelings yet rarely act them out. At the end of the day the only brother who maliciously harmed his brother was Mike since he murdered Fredo. That’s a fact that can’t be denied