YOU PEOPLE

Ezra (Jonah Hill) accidentally meets Amira (Lauren London) when she's lost on her way to work and he gets into her car, believing her to be his Uber driver. They soon fall in love, move in together, and 6 short months later, they're engaged. However, before the wedding, they both decide it's appropriate to meet the others family. This is where the "humor" comes in as Ezra's family is white and Jewish while Amira's is black and Muslim (I'm sure you can see where this is heading already). Plenty of sterotypes that Eddie Murphy (Amira's father Akbar) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Ezra's mother Shelley) are only all too happy to play in to. With actors like Murphy, Hill, and Louis-Dreyfus I was sold as I'm a fan of each of their work, however, with this being a Netflix film, I should have known better. All of the jokes do not land, are cringe worthy, and borderline offensive to the viewer. That's part of the point the film is attempting to make, however, when the jokes aren't funny and don't land, you kinda are doing nothing but digging yourself into a hole. Not to mention plenty of self-loathing and victimhood from Amira's character. In addition, Hollywood is all about representation and I'm puzzled as to why a white Jewish director wasn't selected to assist sole director Kenya Barris? I don't believe he's the appropriate person to be telling the Jewish characters story but alas, that's today's Hollywood (double standards). Pass on this as it's nothing but a huge disappointment. 5/10