INFINITY POOL

Taking place in a fictional totalitarian country, writer James Foster (Alexander Skarsgård) vacations with his wife Em (Cleopatra Coleman) on the scenic island looking for inspiration for his next novel when James crosses paths with Gabi (Mia Goth), a self-professed fan, which is rare as James first novel was not well received critically or commercially. He and Em take Gabi and her husband Alban (Jalil Lespert) up on their dinner invitation and James is so intrigued by the couple (especially Gabi) he also agrees for the four of them to venture off of the private property, which tourists are forbidden to do, in order to enjoy a private picnic the following day. However, on the drive back, James accidentally hits and kills a local farmer. Panicked and unsure of what to do the four make a choice that will forever change them all. I won't spoil too much of the story but I will state how much I enjoyed this film. These are the type of original Hollywood films audiences have so desperately been seeking. I was also surprised at the number of people with me in the theater (around 20) as I thought this wouldn't get much play here in the States being a European film. In any case, Goth and Skarsgård sizzle on screen together. Goth continues to pad a recently impressive resume with the likes of PEARL, X, and now this and this may be the darkest I've seen Skarsgård go. I'm glad I took a flyer on this as it surpassed my expectations and I'm eagerly anticipating a second viewing! 7.5/10