M3GAN

Produced a co-written by James Wan, Megan is an artificial intelligence in the body of a 4' doll. She was created by Gemma (Allison Williams) who works for Funki toy company and has been tasked with introducing an economical line to their successful pet robot PurRpetual Petz. Her niece Cady (Violet McGraw) is living with her now since her parents recently died tragically in a car accident that she survived. Witnessing Cady struggling with her new situation, lonely, and with no friends, Gemma pivots from her robot pet assignment to dust off Megan, which her boss instructed her to shelve in favor of the pet line. Gemma makes a breakthrough in her technology and Megan becomes Cady's best friend who is tasked by Gemma to protect Cady. Megan takes this to the extreme as she soon begins murdering people who get in the way of her relationship with Cady. To put it simply, this film has been done before and doesn't offer anything new as Megan is basically a female Chucky, although with a PG-13 rating, this isn't a slasher film. Social commentary is provided about young users and technology, not learning social skills but being more preoccupied with electronics. The film also hits on the fact of how we as a society are (and will continue to be) over reliant on technology in our day-to-day lives and also issues a warning of how that can turn against mankind in terrible ways. The film was exactly what I thought it would be going in which was very mediocre. Nothing terrible but nothing special either. I've heard a sequel has been greenlit which I'm not surprised as this'll probably be turned into another franchise unfortunately. The only standout for me was 11-year-old Violet McGraw who plays Cady and gives a strong performance for such a young actress, dealing with the lose of her parents and the aftermath. 5/10