Last July there was an interesting development concerning Pasquale "the supreme one" Condello.

Trial of the boss U Supremu, among the number one of the 'Ndrangheta. But he is incapable of understanding and willing
July 28, 2022
Editorial board
Chronicle , Judiciary
court the heat
The court-appointed expert confirmed the suspicions. The trial is destined to end in an acquittal
He had launched his appeal via video link from the maximum security prison: «There are people who want me dead, my life is in danger. I want to speak to a prosecutor." Surprise spontaneous statements those that the man, Pasquale C., known as "U Supremu", seventy-year-old from Calabria currently detained under the 41 bis regime for his past linked to the 'Ndrangheta, had released in court in Novara at the beginning of the trial which sees him accused of injury and contempt of a public official. Just when he was in the district house in via Sforzesca in Novara, in 2016, he would have attacked the prison police officers, threatening them and referring to the fact that he has a certain criminal depth and that he fears nothing.

The judge, accepting a request from the defence, had ordered a psychiatric report in the light of the fact that the defendant refused to participate in the hearing, did not sign the waiver of attendance, and raved about with random phrases fearing a situation of danger for the his life, phrases that had nothing to do with the disputed facts: «I feel in danger. I have also already written letters to the magistrates, which have not been taken into consideration so far".

The other morning the expert appointed by the court, speaking in the courtroom, confirmed the suspicions: the accused is incapable of understanding and unable to stand trial. The trial, which will continue in November, is therefore destined to end with an acquittal.

The man was the capobastone (the one who makes the most important decisions) of the family of the same name, on the run from 1990 to 18 February 2008. He is considered one of the number one of the 'Ndrangheta and has four life sentences behind him: i his affairs ranged from bribes to extortion, from procurement to the control of numerous economic activities even outside Calabria and abroad.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"