BONES AND ALL

A twisted love tale set throughout the Midwest circa 1988. Taylor Russell plays Maren, an 18-year-old who must satisfy her hunger by feeding (i.e cannibalism). She attacks a classmate and her father unwillingly puts her on her own path before being found out by the authorities. Abandoned, alone, and attempting to survive on her own, she begins a journey to connect with her estranged mother. During her travels she crosses paths with both Sully (Mark Rylance) and her soon-to-be lover Lee (Timothée Chalamet), who are also both "feeders." Sully takes Maren in to train her more in her powers and set some rules amongst their community but is also unstable and very unnerving. Lee on the other hand can be short tempered when it comes to protecting the ones he loves and he's more easily comfortable to take the necessary steps needed in order to survive, while Maren is still struggling with her own acceptance of her own needs. Brilliant performances by all involved (Maren, Chalamet, and Rylance). The film hooks you in early as it's a unique but graphic take on a love story but then struggles with pacing the rest of the way and has, what I believed to be, multiple endings as the film continues when I thought it would tune out. One characters arc I thought was completed comes back later on and I understand why it's presented but still not sold on the fact that it was needed. What started out great losses steam throughout unfortunately but a different experience that is worth a look. 7/10