SHE SAID

A film about the two New York Times investigative reporters who broke the Harvey Weinstein story: Megan Twohey (Carey Mulligan) and Jodi Kantor (Zoe Kazan). Judging from the trailer I would have guessed Mulligan was the main star but the story seems to follow Kazan's character more, even though the film opens with Twohey (in yet another desperate attempt to bring up and take a personal dig at Donald Trump, who hasn't been in office for almost 2 years now). The film's story is messy and even bringing up Trump while the film is about the story of Harvey Weinstein was petty, unnecessary, and distracting to the main culprit. Dealing with a story like this that took years to investigate before ever receiving an ounce of printer toner, the highlights are what are given; however, many of the scenes are redundant of each other: one of the reporters either makes a call or personally shows up to a victims house asking her to go on the record about their own history and experience working for Harvey and Miramax. Most of the time the women give them a quick no or in some cases, think about it before declining. I was very disappointed in Mulligan as she came off an Oscar worthy performance in PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (which I still feel to this day she deserved) for this sleeper of a film. I understand the subject matter is personal and sensitive but outside of a few violent outbursts against men, she's wasted and going through the motions. Finally and to be clear, I'm not saying what happened to these victims isn't tragic and everything Harvey Weinstein has received wasn't completely justified and warranted. I'm simply saying as a film, for me, this disappointingly didn't work. 5/10