THE MENU

Set at a swanky restaurant on a remote island, THE MENU opens with young couple Tyler (Nicholas Hoult) and Margot (Anya Taylor-Joy). Tyler is an overzealous foodie who admires Chef Slowik (Ralph Fiennes) in a practically idol worshipping way, while his date Margot doesn’t seem to share or even understand his obsession. The restaurant is very exclusive, cost $1,250 per person (with only 12 guests allowed in at a time), and is a privilege for anyone to dine there. The guests are prepared six different courses over the evening, each with a thematic story that comes together at the end. With the holidays coming up, this is a very solid film to begin the season with. Hoult, Taylor-Joy, and Ralph Fiennes are all exceptional in their individual roles and the chemistry within their dynamic is *chef’s kiss*. Hoult is wonderful as the giddy, I-can’t-believe-I’m-here fan boy, Taylor-Joy as the strong and disobedient guest, while Fiennes continues to amaze with his villainry side as the highly demanding/I-won’t-accept-excuses Chef. At this point in his career it should be noted how amazing Fiennes can be as either a protagonist or antagonist. The man refuses to be typecast and I can say the same for Taylor-Joy, who continues to add another incredible performance to her already strong and budding resume. Without giving away too much, one of the film’s messages in a way reminded me of Ingmar Bergman’s THE MAGICIAN about artists and critics. A cheeky dark comedy that marvelously builds anticipation, that’ll leave you satisfied but also asking for seconds, so bring your appetite. 6.5/10