TERRIFIER

I normally don't write reviews for films released outside of our calendar year but this film is an exception that I want to bring attention to. I only watched this film because it's sequel (aptly titled TERRIFIER 2) has recently been garnering rave reviews. In order to understand the premise of the sequel, I first needed to be introduced to the characters and the story. This film follows Art the Clown (David Howard Thornton) who turns in a cynical and terrifying experience not seen since Bill SkarsgÄrd's Pennywise in 2017's IT. With a budget of $100,000 this film feels in many ways that of CLERKS (1994), which is a good thing as it too has itself a cult following. The first 30 minutes of this film ventures into a cat-and-mouse game between Art, Tara (Jenna Kanell), and Dawn (Catherine Corcoran). Either trying or by happenstance Jenna is channeling an inner Neve Campbell a la SCREAM 3 vibe here whereas her trusty bestie Dawn (almost in a more aloof Laurie Strode character) is having none of it. Stuck with a flat tire after a night of drinking, Tara calls her sister Victoria (Samantha Scaffidi) to pick her and Dawn up. However, awaiting Victoria's arrival, Tara and Dawn soon cross paths with Art in ways they wish they wouldn't have. For such a low budget film, this really gets the jobs done! Wonderful acting by Kanell, Corcoran, and Thornton, the cast never limits themselves to their budget. Bloody, gory, and gruesome, this delivers it all! A surprise gem that should be sought out and I applaud the efforts of the cast, crew, and especially writer/director Damien Leone. 7.5/10