ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (2022)

Another remake of the classic tale which I'm sure you're already familiar with: set during World War I, 4 German friends enlist for military service to gain notoriety and respect once they've helped conquer the French and return home. Being young, naive, and believing the propaganda they've been fed, the friends believe they'll march in Paris within a matter of weeks and swiftly return home to a king's welcome. However, they soon realize war isn't as glamours as they were lead to believe, nor will a quick victory be obtained. Dealing with the physical, emotional, and psychological effects of war, the friends soon just try to survive to make it home alive. This rendition is completely in French and German which I appreciated (in fact, I believe it's submitted from Germany for consideration in the Best Foreign Film at next year's Oscars). Beautiful cinematography and sets, the story wastes little time in putting our 4 young lads right in the thick of it. With a runtime approaching 2 hours and 30 minutes, it can drag at times. If you're a fan of this story or of war films in general, this'll satisfy your itch for more of the same. 6/10