much like the chicago outfit MTL has no ceremony. i have followed the MAFIA in MTL very closely for a long time read a lot of books and can find no evidence of an initiation ceremony ever taking place. i know all the comments soon to come of being a secret society and how could us civilians ever know the inner workings of a ....blah blah blah. IF said ceremony did exist in MTL since the days of the cotronis or even since the reign of the rizzutos nowhere is there evidence.

with that being said magi in an american sense was not made. magi had long been involved with VITO and NICK JR. in real estate purchases and condo deals.
magi had rung up a large debt to del peschio and JR. and with NICK SR. old recently released from jail and staying off the street magi with the help of ducarme joseph felt able to pull off both. we could assume also that magi arranged these with full knowledge that it would play well with the desjardins/devito/dimaulo alliance. possibly even backed by them.

the extent to which montagna was involved in a lot of these murders is still a subject of debate. there is no doubt that he joined in with desjardins et al at some point.
but was it immediately upon arrival on the scene in MTL in april of 2009? not sure.
even being a former acting boss of the bonannos did not mean much to dug in OC figures in MTL, consider how things ended for him.
in the very good book mafia inc. it is suggested that a meeting did take place with NICK SR. and montagna where SR. was asked to step aside and the old man told him where to go. oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

i think after hitting the streets montagna would have had to take some time to gather a crew around him which he did. the arcuri family,giuseppe renda,antonio pietrantonio,lorenzo lo presti to name the most prominent all joined up with him. but no way that could have happened en masse april 2009. there is no evidence montagna had links into MTL at all prior to being deported. there is a reference to family he had in the MTL area but i cannot find any names to prove. montagna and his small crew did begin to extort pizzo/street tax from some businesses but by doing this began to step on the toes of others in the desjardins group.

after the murder of NICK SR. montagna and desjardins et al began a working alliance that soured and eventually ended with montagnas nov 2011 murder.