Originally Posted by Evita

While no doubt she would have been like Carmela and kept the family together, no interfering in his business, no abortion, no divorce, I wonder how their marriage would grow once the Thunder has bolted and the lust cools!

Apollonia would have accepted Michael for what he was , unlike Kay, who tried (hoped) to change him. The key is that marvelous scene at Sr. Vitelli's cafe, when Michael tells him he's hiding from the police in America and "Some people would pay a lot of money for that information but then your daughter would lose a father instead of gaining a husband." Notice that 'Sr. V is unfazed by Michael's admission that he's on the lam for a probable major crime--possibly mob-related--doesn't even bat an eyelash before inviting Michael to his home. Rural Sicilians of that era--and perhaps this era-intensely distrusted authorities, especially police; and were ready to accept fugitives as, (ahem) "legitimate." Apollonia was part of that same accepting milieu. Michael didn't have to give her all that BS he had to hand Kay when he wooed her in New Hampshire. I'm not making excuses for Michael's criminal nature, I'm just saying that he was in the right place for him when he got hit by the fulmine.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.