SMILE

Sosie Bacon stars as Dr. Rose Cotter, a psychologist who witnesses a horrible suicide in her office by a new patient, Laura Weaver (Caitlin Stasey). However, the wild and incredibly hard to believe claims Laura tries to convince Rose of while alive begin to affect Rose as well. Being a professional in the field, it soon becomes obvious to those who are close to Rose she's suffering a mental breakdown. But, what Rose and Laura experienced has happened to others as well and Rose desperately attempts to uncover the key to stopping it before her time is up. I really enjoyed the trailer doesn't give away too much and I went into this as cold as I could for fear of spoilers (and I'm glad I did). This was such an incredible ride! It's the type of movie that gets underneath your skin from the beginning and festers there for the duration of the film. In my opinion, this is a breakout performance for Sosie, who delivers such an incredibly emotionally and psychically draining performance. Creepy, scary, and in some ways original (in some ways not, as cynics could easily make a comparison to a film from 2002 that I won't name for fear of drawing parallels/spoilers). Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well it'll perform at the box office as the marketing push was mediocre at best. It should live on as a cult classic if nothing else but I pray they leave it as a singular story and don't attempt to squeeze more out of the IP as horror franchises especially are known to do. Go see this film, you will not be disappointed! 8/10