Originally Posted by mustachepete
Originally Posted by Lana
The women were culpable too They knew what their husbands' business was, knew their rich, privileged life was funded by tainted money from other people's murder, misery and blood

I think Vito's rejoinder to this is that his wife isn't culpable because he isn't culpable. He is doing what the President does, what the Senator does, what General does, what the Industrialist does, what the Banker and Lawyer do. They all kill and steal. Vito seems resigned to a rough time when he has to answer to God, but he simply doesn't recognize that he has to answer to these others.
Well put Vito was delusional indeed

He deluded himself, among others -
  • The Corleones were not murderers
  • Drugs was a dirty business Then it was not, when used as leverage for Michael's safe return
  • Michael's American Girlfriend would make a good Mob Wife
  • Michael can be legitimate after consolidating his nefarious power with murders and more murders
  • Fredo would go along with his kid brother being the Head of the family
  • Connie would go along with Carlo answering for Santino

Vito: I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family
And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the string, held by all those -- bigshots I don't apologize -- that's my life
What about others taking care of their families?

Murder, extortion, threat of lethal violence, comply or die - to take care of his family, indulging his Godson, sentimental weakness for his children and spoiling them – but evil, murderous, ruthlessly destroying other families, leaving them without their fathers, sons, brothers, husbands Nice!