EMILY THE CRIMINAL

Aubrey Plaza stars as Emily, a young woman who works a menial job as a catering delivery driver who has a felon conviction on her record and is drowning in $70,000 worth of student loan debt. Unable to finish college due to her lack of resources following her criminal conviction, Emily has a difficult time securing gainful employment until one day, she covers a coworkers night shift so he can watch his son play baseball. As a thank you, he gives her a phone number to text that allows her to make $200 for 1 hour of work. Vague but enticing, Emily texts the number and is soon setup to perform an illegal task for cold hard cash. After her first taste of easy money, Emily continues down a destructive but lucrative path towards financial freedom. I'm always excited to see comedians expand their range and Plaza does a wonderful job as the hard as nails and jersey girl Emily. She's joined by costar Theo Rossi who plays Youcef, who is her contact for her jobs. An interesting look at a criminal enterprise that deals in credit card and other types of fraud. This film didn't receive much of a marketing campaign but I'm glad I took a flyer on it as it surpassed my expectations. 6.5/10