ME TIME

Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg star as best friends Sonny Fisher and Huck Dembo respectively. Historically, Sonny has always participated in Huck's over-the-top birthday celebrations, until he married Maya (Regina Hall) and started a family. Maya is the breadwinner in the family as an architect, which relegates Sonny to a stay-at-home Dad. Maya brings home the bacon but the family doesn't operate without Sonny's involvement as Maya is so consumed by work, she repeatedly doesn't know basic, and at times, life-threatening details about her own children, like bringing an epipen with them on vacation in case of an emergency. While Maya has been so consumed with work, and Sonny so burdened by the day-to-day life of the family, they both agree Maya will take the children to her parents in Washington state in order to connect with them more, while Sonny will have a much deserved week to himself. During this time, he reconnects with Huck, who's last few birthdays he's missed due to raising a family. What ensues is a week-long adventure of getting back to their roots, rediscovering their bond for each other, and Sonny gaining more self-confidence. I'm not quite sure why this film has such bad reviews as I quite enjoyed it? The laughs unfortunately only come from Hart, while Wahlberg is repeatedly used as shock value. An enjoyable buddy comedy that is worth taking a flyer on. 6/10