If i recall Mcgrath's number two and the boss in his absence was henry"buster"Bell. I believe it mentions it in dock boss. But i have also read articles claiming Connie Noonan was Mcgrath's number 2. When Mcgrath went into semi retirement, moved to florida, he maintained the boss position. His gang was severly dismantled due to the court ordered execution of two of his gangs most feared killers. Some guys went to jail and others died of old age. The days of controlling the docks in manhatten were long gone but the mobs historical bread and butter (the hells kitchens rackets) was still valuable. So mcgrath let queens native mulligan run the rackets in his absence. Not known for violence and not from the neighborhood, mulligan was the total opposite of Mcgrath. Mcgrath controlled the irish mob after it lost the top spot in the underworld and the italians were top dog. There relationship was shakey and the italians could decide at any time to destroy what was left of the irish. Mcgrath became the first irish mob boss to build friendships and share rackets with the italians. His word was gold to mafia bosses, he adapted and learned to navigate through a dangerous world. Mulligan openly hated italians and publically taunted them. Mulligan chose fellow queens native jimmy burke as his replacement when he stepped down as acting boss, to which burke declined. Another man had his eye on being the king of his own neighborhood, hells kitchen had real boss again, a street fighting legend who would become the irish godfather to the irish of hells kitchen.

Last edited by jackdempsey1930; 07/30/22 09:05 PM.